Feed icon

May 8, 2011

The Economics of Fashion

A little story behind the creation of this blog: I've always been a fan of big brands such as Topshop, Zara, Mango, Forever21, and the like. Thing is, my wallet's not thick enough to carry such labels in my closet all the time. There are times when I have to be content admiring the window displays or simply browsing through their gorgeous items. Yes, it does  me down, but that never stopped me. 

Being an Economics graduate, I've learned a thing or two about consumption or spending. One of the most basic, but truest facts of life is that, "There's no such thing as a free lunch." In other words, nothing in this world is free (well, at least anything material). Second, consumers (that's us!) have unlimited wants that must be met. But of course, the truth to the matter is that resources are scarce. And that's why we have Economics in the first place. 


We all want to maximize our utility. That is, we all want to be satisfied to the fullest. And how do we do that? We consume. Put simply, we buy things, we shop. Yes, we shop. And for fashionistas out there such as myself, we like to shop.... a lot. But there's a catch. We're limited by what our wallet (or bank account) can take. We consume but with a budget. And yes, that's a limitation, but that doesn't mean we have to sacrifice style. In fact, I believe that style doesn't even come with a price tag. It isn't bought. It's your own thing, it's what you make it. There are tons of treasure troves out there filled with amazing and unique finds, waiting to be discovered. And I'm an adventurous explorer always on the hunt for the best buys. 


This blog will be my way of sharing those fashion adventures with you. I'll be sharing tips and tricks on styling that I've been learning along the way as well. I don't claim to be any fashion expert of sorts. It's something that I simply love, a passion, and a goal for the future. 


Fashion has always excited me, and I firmly believe that it is an art. Many people would beg to differ saying that it's pure vanity and materialism, but I'd rebut and say that it's a true form of self-expression and an investment at that. 


Fashion IS accessible. So let's explore. I can't wait. ;)



♥, Cooky

0 comments:

Post a Comment